Falls are not a normal part of aging. Most falls are preventable if we can teach older adults what hazards to remove in their homes and help them increase their strength and balance.
- Falls are the leading cause of non-fatal injury-related hospital admissions among Utahns aged 65+.
- More than half of Utahns aged 65+ who were hospitalized due to a fall were discharged to residential care or a rehabilitation facility.
- Only 24% were able to return home.1
Ways to Prevent Injury from Falls
- Regularly complete strength and balancing exercises.
- Have eyes checked regularly.
- Make physical environment safer (rails on stairways, adequate lighting, bars on windows, sit on safe stools, don’t place obstacles in walking pathways).
- Frequently complete a falls risk assessment.
- Participate in evidence-based falls prevention workshop.
Falls Prevention Workshops
Falls prevention workshops can be found on the Living Well Utah website.